Sunday, March 13, 2011

Top Ten Playlist

If I was asked to name my Top10 playlist, the following would be it. Its a tough choice, 10 being too small a number to include most of the songs I love. The following list comprises of songs which I have loved listening over the years.

1. Forever Young -> Bob Dylan
Written with lyrics which border on poetry, this simple love song truly touches ones heart. No wonder Dylan won a Pulitzer for his exceptional songwriting.

2. Achilles Last Stand -> Led Zeppelin
This 10 minute proto-metal classic is perhaps the most underrated song of Led Zeppelin.

3. Man in the Mirror -> Michael Jackson
"Im starting with the Man in the Mirror, Im asking him to change his ways". These epic lines inspiring the world to make a change a make this world a better place to live for us and our future generations. With messages like these, MJ is my personal hero.

4. I Have Nothing -> Whitney Houston
I loved the movie The Bodyguard and its soundtrack. Whitney Houston has an deep enriching voice and the ease with which she hits the high notes is amazing.

5. Wonderful Tonight -> Eric Clapton
This classic love song by Clapton was the first song I learnt on guitar. The live performance at Wembley is Epic.

6. What Can I Do? -> The Corrs
Corrs are more known for their violin themes, but this song touches your heart with simple melody and lyrics.

7. Still Got the Blues -> Gary Moore
Blues is my favourite genre and this song epitomizes Blues. The extended version with a wonderful solo at the end is a treat to listen.

8. Hey Jude -> The Beatles
Everyone loves Beatles. Though Im not a huge fan of Beatles, this song was one of the first I ever heard in my childhood and has lifted my spirits whenever I was feeling down.

9. Hotel California -> The Eagles
This classic with the incredible solo and the mysterious lyrics is simply fantastic. Check out the live version in Hell Freezes Over.

10. Dogs ->Pink Floyd
Animals is perhaps the greatest album by Pink Floyd. This 17 minute epic is a treat to hear. Only when I read Animal Farm and 1984 by George Orwell did I grasp the true significance of the lyrics. Pink Floyd were perhaps the best songwriters of the 20th century.

No comments:

Post a Comment